Should the college Scam Students Pay the Price

Yes they should

Chloe La, Staff Writer

Universities can be tough when it comes to being accepted to go there. The more prestigious the school is, the lower the percentage of being accepted. The college admission scandal involves about fifty people, including Hollywood stars, top CEOs, college coaches and standardized test administrators, whom allegedly took part in the scheme to cheat on tests and bought their admission in, regardless of their abilities. Universities are containing the fallout from the allegations that families with money bribes the prestigious institution for their children to attend. Students, who were easily accepted, by cheating the system or buying their way into the prestigious schools, should be kicked out.
The “Fuller House” star, Lori Loughlin, and her husband who is a fashion designer, Mossimo Giannulli, were indicted on money laundering and fraud charges in the multimillion-dollar college admissions cheating scam that has ensured dozens of wealthy parents trying to get their kids into the most prestigious colleges. Loughlin and Giannulli are accused of paying $500,000 in bribes to get their daughters admitted to the University of Southern California as crew team recruits, yet neither of the daughters played the sport.
It is ridiculous on how big the scandal is and the amount of outrage there was on social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter. According to The New York Times article, most high school students said they are shocked and angered that this corruption is occurring in the college admission process. Other students also claim that it is not fair and that families are working hard to get into their dream schools, but could not because of the corruption.
Not only Lori Loughlin caught the spotlight of being guilty, Felicity Huffman, a film actress, also got the heat for being caught in the scandal. As though Huffman was caught in the scandal, she did not tell her child. People may argue that Huffman’s child should not be kicked out for not knowing about the scandal. It would make sense and it is unfair for the child, it is unfair for the other students and their parents that had to work their way to get into the schools. Should Huffman’s child be kicked out? Yes and no. The least that her child can do is possibly retake the entry exam.
Parents and their children who took part of the scandal should be automatically be kicked out of their schools with no excuse. The scandal is a punch to the guts for high school graduates and their families who struggle to borrow funds for their children to get into mediocre schools. Cheating denies the opportunity to teach and train a future doctor, teacher, or scientist who did not get into or can afford college tuition. It is not fair at all to a student who prepared him or herself, who studies for countless hours every night, and to who college ultimately mattered more was not granted the right to an equal opportunity to achieve his or her dreams.