An Increase in Homicides is Due to Gang Violence According to BPD

The+graph+shows+a+comparison+from+2019+to+2020+shootings+in+Bakersfield.+

Staff

The graph shows a comparison from 2019 to 2020 shootings in Bakersfield.

Kenyah Castro, Staff Writer

Shootings in Kern County have been increasing. In less than a week into the new year, there had been reports of four homicide victims. With more than two months into the year, more homicides are on the rise. 

Robert Pair, a Sergeant with the Bakersfield Police Department, believes that prison restructuring and other factors are reasons for all these shootings. Pair goes on to explain that, “Other factors are poverty, unemployment rates, gang involvement and domestic violence” and “the significant increase in unsterilized handguns that have flooded the community” are possible motivators. There was also an increase of homicides from 2019 to 2020. He says that since then, “We had a 26.5% increase in homicides, a 9.5% decrease in rapes, a 9.8% decrease in robberies and a 36.9% increase in aggravated assault (which includes assault with a weapon)”. There may be other reasons for all these shootings.

Alexia Verduzco, a sophomore at Ridgeview High School, believes there is another reason. She assumes that, “The people’s mentality is the cause I think because they’re not thinking straight and are carelessly acting based on their emotions.” Alexia started explaining what people can do to stay safe. She said, “I think the higher authority can be more strict about the gun policy.” Other students have similar points of views.

“We have officers who work closely with federal law enforcement agencies to investigate and monitor various criminal street gangs in the city of Bakersfield.” – Robert Pair, Sergeant of The Bakersfield Police Dept.

Lillian Caraballo, had a similar idea of why shootings are rising. She said, “I think they’re rising because people are getting into arguments and physical fights.” She also thought of another way to stay safe. She says, “I think we can stay out of other people’s arguments and stay safe that way.” She believes it will create less violence.

Pair discusses what the Bakersfield Police Department is  doing to keep Bakersfield safe. He says that, “60 to 70 percent of homicides are solved with either arrests or warrants.” He understands that it doesn’t mean it will bring loved ones back, but it will help with safety. He goes on to say that because 40% of homicides involve gangs, “ We have officers who work closely with federal law enforcement agencies to investigate and monitor various criminal street gangs in the city of Bakersfield.” They have a full-time gang enforcement unit that routinely investigates and attempts to stop crimes of violence. In 2020 they were able to get over 300 firearms from gang members.

The graph shows a comparison from 2019 to 2020 shootings in Bakersfield. (Staff)

With this information we are able to see that everyone is trying to stay safe. Following the student’s advice, we should be able to stay relatively safe. Knowing what Pair has said, we can see that they are trying their best to find a solution. In the end, they will make sure nothing bad happens to anyone.