Under The Lanters at Prom

Andrew Covarrubias, Staff Writer

Prom, one of Ridgeview High school’s most popular and most exciting events, was back this year. With the prom theme being, “Under the Lanterns”, inspired by the movie Tangled.

Jaylyn Tun the Junior class president says, “We chose the theme because we wanted to go around Disney.” Tun also says, “So it’s under the lanterns it’s too supposed to represent Rapunzel, like when they’re in the boat ride and under the lanterns in love.”

Prom took place on April 29 at a venue called the Edwards Estate. Ridgeview student Amy Gonzalez said, “Actually yes, since it’s my last year I’m pretty excited.” When asked about their opinion about prom Ridgeview student Monica Machuca said, “I think it’s very fun and a great way for everyone to have a party.” Gonzalez says, “Well the theme I kinda did not like and I wish they made it a different theme, but I guess the theme is good for this year.”

Just like last year’s prom the ticket prices started at 50 dollars, but then went up to 100 dollars at the door. When asked if the ticket prices were a fair amount. Gonzalez says, “No there a fair amount, since they were kinda late to get a venue.”  Tun says, “We chose those prices because it was the most convenient, since we started later selling the tickets and also since we would have not made any profit.” Prom requires a lot of effort and resources, but the junior class believes they will recoup their costs and then some. Tun says, “We started working on prom around December before we went on winter break, so it takes a lot of time.”

Some students spend a lot of money and time perfecting their dress or suit for Prom but for others they don’t. Machuca says, “I spent around 30 dollars for everything.” Gonzalez says, “My mom had an extra one, so I didn’t have to spend any money on that.”

High school prom is a momentous event that is eagerly anticipated by many students each year. It provides a unique opportunity for students to dress up, socialize and celebrate the end of their high school journey with their peers. While prom can be a lot of fun, it is important to remember that it is just one night and should not be taken too seriously. Ultimately, prom is a memorable experience that many students will look back on fondly as they move on to the next chapter of their lives.