Gil’s Final Kick-off

Alex Trujillo, Staff Writer

Luis Gil’s class of the 2022-2023 high school year is coming to a close. Gil describes his senior experience as a fun and easy year, with lots having to do with his soccer season. Out of all four years on varsity Luis states his final year of high school was his most pleasurable year. Being able to make it to the Valley Championship, but suffering a loss to Clovis North High school.  

Luis describes the valley final as his biggest achievement and one of his favorite high school memories due to how good of a season this year’s team had.  Luis is described as a hard worker as well as a competitive person to play with on the field. Luis’ position on the soccer field is attacking mid, but can confirm his capability of playing any other position besides defense. Luis has been playing soccer ever since he was a little kid at the age of six years old. Gil created a love for the sport, and his dad is the one who got him into the game. Two people Gil likes to look up to is his parents. “I look up to my parents because they always see me as a responsible, good kid and to respect myself, and adults”, added Gil. Luis stated about his motivation saying, “What motivates me to play was my grandfather who died a long time ago.” Gil’s final game for Ridgeview High school was on February 24 when the varsity team faced Clovis North. Luis said for the upcoming seniors to, “ Enjoy your time out on the field. Enjoy the games with all your teammates because those are basically your brothers throughout the whole season.” Luis’s plans after high school is to go to college and to hopefully play soccer for a D1 school.

Varsity boy’s assistant coach Isai Cruz described Gil as, “The hardest working player out on the field.  He is very dominant on and off the field, with good technique and tactically. He is a strong leader that knows the game really well. Luis knows how to take charge in games and knows how to control the games by setting a game pace, and has a very good work ethic.” Coach Cruz added, “ I can’t remember his best game because he’s had so many really good ones. He’s always been instrumental to his team’s success. But I do remember how shocked I was of his ability his first year here. I was in disbelief at how good he was.”