Virtual Enterprise Making History

This years five member Virtual Enterprise team who made it to State.

Miguel Garcia

Jaysen Ford, News Editor

The Virtual Enterprise team at Ridgeview competed in the regional business plan presentations and made it to State, where the top 20 teams in the state competed and only six teams can move on to nationals. This first year team has managed to work together and succeed amidst an online learning environment without knowing each other prior to this year. During the  first week of February Ridgeview High’s  Virtual Enterprise team which consists of five  members: Isaac Larroque, Elisabeth Jimenez, Sergio Jara, Dezirae Lopez, and Manuel Castro went on to compete at the state level. Unfortunately, RHS did not make the top six, but the team states that they were “really close and did really well”.

The students had to prepare and present their 10-minute business plan in front of judges, as well as answer any questions about what they were selling after the presentation. Elisabeth Jimenez, Chief Executive Officer (CEO), of the business team explains the business’s product,  “Sustainably Fresh sells biodegradable dental hygiene products like the signature bamboo toothbrush that has a replaceable bristle aspect; as well as a UV light that kills 99% of the bacteria on your toothbrush!”. 

”  I got into teaching to inspire the youth, but these kids are the ones who’ve inspired me. Every day I look forward to working with these students. Truly I say to you that getting to know this group has been one of the greatest most rewarding experiences of my life to this day. These kids are our future leaders, and the world is in good hands.”- Miguel Garcia, Adviser/Teacher  

The process of professionally setting up a business is reflected in Virtual Enterprise and serves to teach the students the basics what they need to do. “Creating a company in Virtual Enterprise is a process much like in the real world,” says Jimenez, “Students are given titles after conducting interviews within the company. Once the brand has been built including what is being sold, its price, company logo, name, moto, and mission statement. Followed by the process of the selected leader/leaders assigning tasks for everyone to complete.”

This year’s team had to not just overcome the many challenges that came with being remote  but thrive despite them. Sergio Jara is the  Chief Technical Officer (CTO) on the Virtual Enterprise team.  “What makes this team so successful is that we all work very hard and stay focused on achieving success,” says Jara, “We also have the privilege of being assisted by amazing mentors.”  The students have been able to find success in each other in conditions that lessened the odds. “We managed to get close to one another despite our situation,” Jimenez says, “The reasons I  believe we’ve made it so far is by putting in a lot of time and effort, listening to criticism, growing from it, relying on one another and our confidence.”

Miguel Garcia is the Virtual Enterprise’s adviser/ teacher who is  dedicated to improving the team at Ridgeview to be one of the best here. “I am beyond proud that my students have made it to the state championship rounds, only 21 teams in the entire state moved on. This team never doubted themselves, and this is why we’ve made it this far as a first-year team,” says Garcia, “The resilience, grit, and unparalleled work ethic of this team has been a huge part of their success. These students have emerged as leaders in the midst of a global pandemic and have refused to settle for anything less than making it to the top.”

The Virtual Enterprise team at Ridgeview has a great experience and environment to offer to students. “This is an awesome class and I totally recommend it to anyone who is thinking about taking it. Virtual Business teaches you valuable life skills that will benefit your future,” Jara says. “Virtual Enterprise is run by the students, which is a unique aspect that makes the class that much more exciting. Especially with the added benefit of having an advisor as dedicated as Mr. Garcia, who’s always willing to help as long as you put the effort in. If you wish to go into the business field or hope to advance your communication/public speaking skills this is the class that will get you that experience and so much more!”

This years five member Virtual Enterprise team who made it to State. (Miguel Garcia)

On the subject of the team, their accomplishments, and his experience guiding them, Garcia adds, “I got into teaching to inspire the youth, but these kids are the ones who’ve inspired me. Every day I look forward to working with these students. Truly I say to you that getting to know this group has been one of the greatest most rewarding experiences of my life to this day. These kids are our future leaders, and the world is in good hands,” says Garcia.