Bullying is still happening on campus

Shaila Rubio, Staff Writer

Ridgeview High School Counselor Salvado Garcia Jr remembers the time he was bullied in middle school, like it was yesterday.

When he was in middle school he had a bully who would hit him, “I came to school worried, looking around making sure he wasn’t coming, or around me.” Always keeping an eye out, but one day he hit his bully back hard and it stopped that day. He says that fighting isn’t, “The right thing to do, but when it comes to defending yourself ,you have to defend yourself, “added Garcia.

Garcia has worked at Ridgeview for 17 years, he worked as a Spanish teacher for two years then became a counselor. He enjoys his job very much being allowed to work with students, teachers, parents, and principals but mainly the students. He likes it because he likes helping them be aware of options in order for them to be successful and also being a part of their futures.

He says that bullying still happens but doesn’t really see it happen. But when Garcia sees or hears about bullying, he stops it because it is not tolerable and isn’t allowed. He thinks it happens just when they are not around. He says that students have come up and talked about their situation. Although every situation is different because there’s physical, emotional, and cyberbullying. He says when it comes to bullying usually the principal gives its final decision.

If a student on campus needs to talk about mental health or suicide they can talk to Garcia.  His first sign of something going wrong is usually when their grades go down. Students can come and  talk, explain how they feel, but sometimes the students  just need advice. He feels that ¨you shouldn’t have to hold back what you feel, because it will start to hurt a lot inside, added Garcia. He recommends doing stuff to take it off your mind or distract it from all that’s happening around you. For example, doing a sport, cooking, baking, reading books, cleaning, listening to music, writing, and crying can help Garcia says.

Garcia believes that bullying and suicide affect mental health and that there is always someone you can talk to even when you feel like you don’t. He believes that how the school is handling bullying is somewhat working, but they can do a better job.