California Weather Brings Flooding

Isabella Truitt, Staff Writer

With California experiencing floods, Californians don’t know how to prepare. California is in a constant battle with water, whether it’s in drought or having too much. Floods have wreaked havoc all over California, covering the people and roads with mud. Ruining countless homes in the process. According to CNN, “Around 10 to 15 homes were damaged due to flooding in the county on Monday, according to Santa Barbara County Fire, which released images showing a flooded neighborhood and a sinkhole that developed.” When sophomore at Ridgeview High School, Hardik Chopra was asked how the floods will affect California, Chopra said, “They would help with the drought.” 

Several places in California have been affected due to the flooding. Places like Fresno, Sonoma County and Santa Cruz County all experienced similar things happen. The power lines going out, and having to evacuate their homes. The Santa Cruz Wharf was evacuated recently due to the 20 feet waves knocking against the Wharf, which poses a threat to everyone around it.

Not only are we thinking about the people evacuating their homes, but also the people that are homeless, where are the homeless supposed to survive when the floods have ruined their only home available? With our area specifically only getting rain less people are willing to leave their homes due to the unsafe road conditions. Sophomore Briana Fuentes says, “with people not being familiar with driving in the rain they drive either too fast or too slow.” Not only do these floods affect people personally but also academically. Fuentes continues to say, “the rain floods our sport fields, putting a stop to our practices.” 

Fuentes says, “When I lived in Arvin our houses were on a slanted hill to protect from the water.” Should the rest of California do the same? When asked how us as a school could take precautions, Chopra and Fuentes had a few ideas. Encouraging the kids to layer up, keeping kids inside to avoid injuries and laying tarps on important parts of the school to protect from the rain. Chopra suggests adding a program to help shelter those who have lost their homes.