Dance Revue

Members+of+the+11th+annual+Dance+Revue+perform+in+the+Ridgeview+Auditorium.+

Danielle Smith

Members of the 11th annual Dance Revue perform in the Ridgeview Auditorium.

Harkamal Randhawa, Staff Writer

Ridgeview High School’s most popular and intense performance of the school year has been selling out year after year; a hundred people, seven weeks, long vigorous practices, constant stress and multiple alterations later, they present the 11th annual Dance Revue. This time bringing you the production of “Back To The Future”, a show taking you through the 40’s all the way to the 2000’s bringing dance moves along with the different dance styles and music back into the limelight.

This year’s student choreographers Gabriel Tomada and Gerald De Jesus work with veteran performers and returning choreographers Megan Juarez and Deron Jackson. On stage, you see a spectacular performance while everyone backstage is in a chaotic rush. A lot goes into putting on this production. This year working on an even shorter schedule, the performers have really put themselves up for the challenge.

Returners, Emma Beals, Xavier Carmona, and Gerald De Jesus, express their concerns about the time and dedication that has to be put forth for the show to go on. “It can be really demanding, physically and mentally, as well as time management wise,” says Carmona. Beals adds, on “it can be stressful when you aren’t really practicing your dances or are unable to keep up with all the choreography being thrown at you”. De Jesus also goes on about double timing rehearsals, “one group will be practicing their stuff on stage while another is rehearsing in the choir room, and it’s a little more stressful since they are on a time crunch this year.”

Samuel LaGore, the student leader of tech crew expresses the pressure that is put upon the crew during such shows. LaGore says, “Behind the scene we start working before the actors even hit the stage, before anyone even thinks about it. It’s pretty stressful because the show is basically on your shoulders. It’s not just the actors who make the performance work; the props, the set and the lights can make or break the show.” He also goes on about how timing is essential when it comes to these performances, one late que and a lot of things can go wrong.

However our first year performers, Kourtney Colmen, Andre Norman, Ashleyanna Rosales, and Carlos Zuniga, seem to be handling this stress pretty well. They talk about the experience, the wholesome community and fun they have during these rehearsals. When asked if they’re nervous they all seem to share a similar opinion. “Picking up the choreography can be hard but it’s not troublesome, it’s more fun than anything” says Zuniga. Norman adds on with “it’s fun because you get to do something you like to do, move and groove with your friend. I’m actually excited and can’t wait to show you what we’ve got!”

When the show finally hits the stage and the tickets are sold, mishaps still happen however the show keeps on going. “Sometimes people pass out and sometimes unexpected obstacles might appear, however, the show must go on so we improvise a lot, but the show always turns out great”, says Bales.

“It’s like a beautiful storm”, says Jason McClain, the drama tech teacher, “if you’re in the eye of it, it’s a little insane backstage. Clothes are flying, people are running, they’re jumping on stage, they do a number, lights are flashing, and then boom they’re in the wings stripping down and putting something else on. And then a soloist is singing in the background. I don’t know how it works, but it always works out beautifully.”

“The chaos is all worth it”, says Jennifer Resolme, the drama teacher in charge of this production. “There are days during the process every year that I go, I don’t know how many more I have in me, how many more dance revues can I do?”  But continues with, “by opening night, it’s totally worth it, it’s an electric feeling that’s unexplainable”.