Fearful for Finals?

Mikayla Grebner, Staff Writer

Ah, it’s finally that time of the year for hot chocolate, warm sweaters, chestnuts on an open fire, and…finals. Yay! Right? Wrong. But, don’t fret. Ridgeview is having the first finals coming up, starting on December 18th and ending on December 20th.
When most students think of finals, many associate them with stress, headaches, and anxiety. While every teacher gives different finals, studying and preparing beforehand can help alleviate these symptoms. Here are some additional tips on getting ahead of the game.
To start off, get a good night’s sleep and eat a nutritious breakfast. You’ve probably heard that a million times before, but it really does make all the difference! To continue, consider having a study group session where you can test and quiz each other with material you’ve learned throughout the semester. This can be especially helpful if your teacher gives a study guide.
Chelsy Lancaster, a chemistry teacher here at Ridgeview who teachers sophomores to seniors, believes that for her final, it’s important to be able to demonstrate their learning over the semester. She explains she provides time to collect materials and data.
Brittney Leyva, a senior here at Ridgeview, explained that finals make her feel, “very scared, nervous, and stressed”. When asked how she prepares for finals she responded, “I go through all my study guides and check in with (my) teachers to make sure I know the material.” One tip she provided was that students should study. “People (students) say they study but they actually don’t.”
Another senior, Emily Manríquez, expressed how she wishes the schedule of how finals are arranged were different because they tend to mess up her everyday run through. The way she prepares for finals is by making sure she keeps up with her work and makes it a point to look back in her work from throughout the semester. “One tip I have for students when it comes to finals, would be, make sure you study, but don’t overthink it (the final).”

Also, if you didn’t know already, Link Crew will be holding “Hot Cocoa And Cram” where you can enjoy some soul soothing hot chocolate and study for upcoming finals. “Hot Cocoa And Cram” will be held in the cafeteria on Tuesday, December 17th, 2019 from 3:00-6:00pm. We hope to see you there!
Good luck to Ridgeview students and teachers this winter final season.
“It always seems impossible until it is done.” -Nelson Mandela